Liriodendron

Friday, March 18, 2005

Relocation Motivation

We begin our move today. I think this place will be much better than our current apartment. The property manager is a nice elderly woman named Wilma. It's funny, though, how much smaller it looks now as compared to the first time we visited. Perception is erratic. But I'm looking forward to it; it's an excuse to get rid of more clutter. Dan is coming to help, too. Moving and having him around will help get my mind off work. I need to get away from it for a while.

Zach (my 3-yr-old son) and I had a good discussion about Leprechauns this morning. He cracks me up sometimes. I love being a dad. He reminds me of things that I haven't thought of in many years, and makes me think about things I would otherwise take for granted. We always make jokes about him having it so easy, but we don't often think about how difficult it really is to brush our teeth, how much practice it took to be able to get dressed in the morning, what kind of muscle control it takes to button our pants, or how much willpower it takes to learn our alphabet rather than play and look at things we've never seen before. He has changed my life as much as his mother has. She inspired me to see things through more positive eyes, so I dumped a glass of cold water on her while she was in the shower this morning (REALLY funny, by the way). For him, I began to look at things like they were new again. We really can live where leprechauns hide in the grass. I hope I never forget that again, and I hope I can perpetuate that feeling in him without screwing him up. They've both taught me what it is to love and be loved, which is the best thing that can happen to anybody. I am a truly lucky man.

I feel just as lucky to have Dan as a friend. He has inspired me to take some big steps in my life, and we are kindred in so many ways. But the big one is that we live life the best we can, and we do things instead of taking the vicarious route.

I was down for quite a while. These three have awakened my soul again, and I'm grateful to have them. It's very liberating to know that if I screw up, they'll still be there for me, and vice versa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home